Amanda-Users

Re: slow client

2005-04-12 10:39:32
Subject: Re: slow client
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Salada, Duncan S." <duncan.salada AT titan DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:26:51 +0200
Salada, Duncan S. wrote:

The slow client is a Sun V100 running Solaris 8.  While it is
certainly a low-end system, it is also the newest.  According to
Amanda's reports, it's consistently transferring dumps at around 425
to 475 KB/s.  By contrast, I have another client (a Sun Ultra
Enterprise I running 2.6, arguably a dinosaur) that consisently dumps
a 750 - 800 KB/s.

One thing I've thought of is the partition size.  The V100 is using
the default partitions that the system was shipped with, the biggest
of which is a 67G partition.  The Ultra I has a 16G partition as it's
biggest.  The traffic on the network isn't bad when I'm doing the
backups.  I'm just not sure what I should be looking at or for?  Any
help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using the holdingdisk for that 67 Gbyte partition or
is the holdingdisk too small? If not, your tapedrive probably stops
streaming, resulting in poor throughput, and a broken tapedrive in
a few weeks/months due to the wear/tear on the mechanics.
To verify, grep the amdump.X output for "PORT-DUMP" (dump to
a tcp-port, where the taper program is listening, instead of
the normal word "FILE-DUMP" when dumping to holdingdisk file).

Also watch out for ethernet duplex mismatches (although in that case
I wouldn't even expect a speed of 40 KB/s.).  Is the errorcount
in "netstat -ni" significant?