Amanda-Users

slow client

2005-04-12 10:14:26
Subject: slow client
From: "Salada, Duncan S." <duncan.salada AT titan DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:53:40 -0400
Hi,

I'm currently using Amanda to backup 4 servers (three Solaris boxes and one
Fedora Core 3).  They are all running Amanda 2.4.4p4.  I have a problem with
one of the clients being MUCH slower than the others.  I was wondering if
anyone could give me any pointers about where to begin poking around.

The slow client is a Sun V100 running Solaris 8.  While it is certainly a
low-end system, it is also the newest.  According to Amanda's reports, it's
consistently transferring dumps at around 425 to 475 KB/s.  By contrast, I have
another client (a Sun Ultra Enterprise I running 2.6, arguably a dinosaur) that
consisently dumps a 750 - 800 KB/s.

One thing I've thought of is the partition size.  The V100 is using the default
partitions that the system was shipped with, the biggest of which is a 67G
partition.  The Ultra I has a 16G partition as it's biggest.  The traffic on
the network isn't bad when I'm doing the backups.  I'm just not sure what I
should be looking at or for?  Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Duncan

Duncan Salada
Titan Corporation
301-925-3222 x375