Amanda-Users

Re: Converting to FILE

2004-09-08 13:13:30
Subject: Re: Converting to FILE
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:07:33 -0400
On Wednesday 08 September 2004 12:23, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [amanda@coyote DailySet1]$ amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-00 slot 00
>> amlabel: could not load slot "00": illegal request
>
>Perhaps Amanda doesn't like slot `00'? Have you tried slot `0'?
>
>BTW, mine are called $(seq 32), i.e. I started counting at slot `1',
> not `0'.
>
>Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>      Geert

Back when I was running real tapes, Geert, the tapes were labeled with
a string like DailySet1-01 thru DailySet1-28.

The regex string in amanda.conf:
labelstr "^DailySet1-[0-9][0-9]*$"      # label constraint regex: all
tapes must match

The leading zero in the 01 is because I have other scripts that search
the databases that couldn't be made to cope with the 9 to 10
transition but worked just fine if it was from 09 to 10, or 19 to 20.
Probably my fault, but they all work that way and have been for
years.  And I didn't have any trouble applying the labels.

One thing that bothers me is that my former configuration file had the
tape device named in it, so that was hard-coded in the objects.
What or how do I now specify that what was formerly /dev/nst0, but is
now a FILE: type device, when doing the .configure options?

This isn't discussed in Stephans W.'s howto.

And one other thing, its amanda-2.4.5b1-20040831 I'm playing with
here.

>--
>Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
> geert AT linux-m68k DOT org
>
>In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a
> hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer"
> or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: