Amanda-Users

Re: Converting to FILE

2004-09-08 12:58:38
Subject: Re: Converting to FILE
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:53:17 +0200
Hi, Gene Heskett,

on Mittwoch, 08. September 2004 at 18:02 you wrote to amanda-users:

GH> Greeting, particularly to Stephan W.

GH> I'm in the process of trying to duplicate my old tape
GH> setup with a VLD, (very large disk, a 200 gigger)

GH> In going thru your howto, I get to the point of doing
GH> the labeling and bomb out with illegal requests.

GH> [amanda@coyote DailySet1]$ amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-00 slot 00
GH> amlabel: could not load slot "00": illegal request

GH> The lines modified in amanda.conf are:
GH> ---------------
GH> runtapes 10             # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
amdump

GH> #tpchanger      "chg-scsi"      # the tape-changer glue script
GH> tpchanger       "chg-disk"

GH> #tapedev                "0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
GH> tapedev         "FILE:/amandatapes/DailySet1"

GH> #changerfile    "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/chg-scsi.conf"
GH> changerfile     "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/chg-disk.conf"

This should be

changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer"

and chg-disk creates

changer.conf-access
changer.conf-clean
changer.conf-slot
changer.stat

>From the HOWTO:

---

The "changerfile"-parameter is used to give chg-disk the "prefix" for
the "%s-changer, %s-clean, %s-slot" files it needs. Use something like
"changer" in your config-dir. Please note that this file does NOT have
to exist, but it won't hurt anyway.

---

What does

amtape DailySet1 show

tell you?

For my setup this starts with slot 1, 2, ...

Seems like you hit an error in my HOWTO.

The loop to create the vtapes runs from 1 to 12, the loop to label
starts with 01, 02, ...

This should be the cause. I will correct this in a minute (gets in the
online-docs).

Sorry for the problem, thanks for digging it up.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger