Amanda-Users

Re: "all estimate failed"

2004-07-12 18:47:42
Subject: Re: "all estimate failed"
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:43:03 -0400
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:21:40PM -0500, fmouse-amanda AT fmp DOT com
enlightened us:
> I note that the Gentoo build defaults to 'localhost' for the server address,
> which should _always_ be 127.0.0.1, and hence unambiguous.  I trust the
> Gentoo devs implicitly.  IMHO, they're right up there with the Debian
> package maintainers in knowledge and experience.  I did, however, use the
> FQDN for the server in the ebuild, which I prefer in any event.

It is not unambiguous since *every* machine is localhost with an address of
127.0.0.1. Unfortunately that's a problem with binary packages and amanda in
that yes, backing up with localhost/127.0.0.1 will always work, but it can
fail at restore time and can cause other crazy problems occasionally. It is
the same situation in the redhat packages, which is why I always grab the
source rpm and rebuild with the right options for my server. Sounds like
that's what you did and is IMHO the best way to do it if you want to keep
the tracking of packages while using amanda in the best manner.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics