Amanda-Users

Re: "all estimate failed"

2004-07-11 21:45:36
Subject: Re: "all estimate failed"
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:37:00 -0400
On Sunday 11 July 2004 21:02, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 05:21:55PM -0500, fmouse-amanda AT fmp DOT com
wrote:
>> > BTW there are logfiles being kept, fairly verbose ones at that,
>> > whereever you have it set to in your amanda.conf, or in the
>> > default dir, probably in /var/amanda-dbg or similar.  They will
>> > tell you a lot more precisely what is going on.
>> > gentoo.
>>
>> I know about the amanda logfiles, and they're uninformative.  For
>> instance,
>>
>> /var/log/amanda/Fmouse# cat log.20040711.2
>> DISK planner vishnu /dev/fasttrak/fmouse_gen

>> FINISH driver date 20040711 time 30.142
>>
>> "all estimate failed", which is where I started with this.
>> I'm looking for a reason _why_ "all estimate failed" and this
>> doesn't help, nor are there any other logfiles which help.
>
>Do you have the /var/amanda-dbg directory that Gene mentioned
>and you overlooked.  In my case it is /tmp/amanda.  In that
>directory is where debuging logfiles are placed by amanda.
>Gene was not refering to the "logs", but the debug logs.

I didn't make myself clear enough on that I guess. :(

That said, I've dug as deep as I feel comfortable with, so jump right
in Jon and see if you can help out.

There is also an env var that can be set which will multiply the
verbosity of the debugging logs considerably.  But I haven't used it
in ages, so I don't know the name or the exact syntax to use it.
There could be a reference to it in the docs dir of the archive.

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.