Amanda-Users

Re: "all estimate failed"

2004-07-11 18:26:41
Subject: Re: "all estimate failed"
From: fmouse-amanda AT fmp DOT com
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:21:55 -0500
Thus spake Gene Heskett on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 04:49:03PM CDT
> On Sunday 11 July 2004 17:04, fmouse AT fmp DOT com wrote:
> >Thus spake Gene Heskett on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 03:10:06PM CDT
>
> BTW, I've been Cc: in the list as this really should be a public
> exchange.  Thats what the list is for, and its searchable I believe.

Sorry.  Dealing with Majordomo lists is a PITA, and I didn't notice the CC
either.  THis one's cc'd.

> BTW there are logfiles being kept, fairly verbose ones at that,
> whereever you have it set to in your amanda.conf, or in the default
> dir, probably in /var/amanda-dbg or similar.  They will tell you a
> lot more precisely what is going on.  I'd start there rather than on
> gentoo.
>

> >I'll check with the Gentoo devs and see if any of them have any
> > experience with this sort of thing.

I know about the amanda logfiles, and they're uninformative.  For instance,

/var/log/amanda/Fmouse# cat log.20040711.2
DISK planner vishnu /dev/fasttrak/fmouse_gen
DISK planner vishnu hda1
START planner date 20040711
WARNING planner tapecycle (5) <= runspercycle (28)
START driver date 20040711
INFO planner Adding new disk vishnu:hda1.
FAIL planner vishnu hda1 20040711 0 [disk hda1, all estimate failed]
FAIL planner vishnu /dev/fasttrak/fmouse_gen 20040711 0 [disk
/dev/fasttrak/fmouse_gen, all estimate failed]
FINISH planner date 20040711
WARNING driver WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
STATS driver startup time 17.290
ERROR taper no-tape [rewinding tape: No medium found]
FINISH driver date 20040711 time 30.142

"all estimate failed", which is where I started with this.  I'm looking for
a reason _why_ "all estimate failed" and this doesn't help, nor are there
any other logfiles which help.

Believe me, Gene, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday on this
stuff.  I've been doing professional system administration for many years
and I've been to all the obvious places on this looking for clues.  I know
how to segregate a problem on the basis of clues, and set up test situations
and deduce something about what the problem is _not_, which I've done here,
but I'm up against a stone wall and am looking for information on were I
might go that I haven't already gone.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at