Amanda-Users

Re: "all estimate failed"

2004-07-11 17:52:57
Subject: Re: "all estimate failed"
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: fmouse-n11tfz AT fmp DOT com
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:03 -0400
On Sunday 11 July 2004 17:04, fmouse AT fmp DOT com wrote:
>Thus spake Gene Heskett on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 03:10:06PM CDT

BTW, I've been Cc: in the list as this really should be a public
exchange.  Thats what the list is for, and its searchable I believe.

>> The clues point to  serious slowdown someplace.
>>
>> >I'll take a look for the TOP-TEN-QUESTIONS FAQ and see if it
>> > helps, but I'm guessing that it probably won't.  I'm wondering
>> > if this is some kind of kernel issue or something equally weird.
>>
>> The only other item that comes to mind is the etimeout value in
>> your amanda.conf.  Just for testing, multiply it by 10 for
>> tonight, that big a filesystem may be too slow for the default 5
>> minutes.  Its in seconds BTW.  If that fixes the estimates, you
>> may have to expand the dtimeout value also.
>
>The time to failure is about 50 seconds, with etimeout set to 600
> seconds, so it's not a slowdown or timeout issue unless there's
> some other timeing factor involved.  I really wish there were
> better logging for this kind of thing.  Running it under strace
> _might_ help.

BTW there are logfiles being kept, fairly verbose ones at that,
whereever you have it set to in your amanda.conf, or in the default
dir, probably in /var/amanda-dbg or similar.  They will tell you a
lot more precisely what is going on.  I'd start there rather than on
gentoo.

>I'll check with the Gentoo devs and see if any of them have any
> experience with this sort of thing.

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.