Amanda-Users

Re: "all estimate failed"

2004-07-11 16:54:02
Subject: Re: "all estimate failed"
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: fmouse-n11tfz AT fmp DOT com
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:48:54 -0400
On Sunday 11 July 2004 16:36, fmouse AT fmp DOT com wrote:
>Thus spake Gene Heskett on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 03:10:06PM CDT

>> >It's unique on this box.
>> >
>> >$ dig +short localhost
>> >127.0.0.1
>>
>> It _will_ bite you at some point.  Amanda is very very network
>> aware. Please use the FQDN of the machine even though that might
>> resolve to a 192.168.xx.xx address.
>
>The fqdn (vishnu.fmp.com) _is_ in amandahosts and resolves.  Putting
>localhost in the same file shouldn't make any difference, it just
> expands access permissions, and amanda doesn't, or shouldn't rely
> on it.  I'll explore this issue later, but it obviously isn't the
> problem here since amanda _can_ resolve the box, and deal with one
> of the filesystems on it.
>
>> >No ambiguity there.

>> >/etc/amandahosts doesn't use a leading dot.  ~amanda/.amandahosts
>> > does, and is a symlink to /etc/amandahosts.
>>
>> Amanda was built as user:
>>
>> and make install was done as user:
>
>Amanda was built and installed as part of a Gentoo build.

Since I'm on an FC1 box, that doesn't answer the question.

>> And its perms (~/.amandahosts) are?
>
>$ l /etc/amandahosts
>-rw-r-----  1 amanda amanda 233 Jan  7  2004 /etc/amandahosts

Looks ok

>The amanda user can read it, no problem.
>
>> > changing this eliminates a variable).  The only thing which
>> > distinguishes hda2 from any other filesystem on the box is it's
>> > small size.  I tried a test backup on a spare drive, mounted
>> > temporarily with two nearly identical sets of files on nearly
>> > identically sized partitions (c.a. 1.5G), one ext2 and one
>> > reiserfs, and both failed, which eliminates the filesystem type,
>> > apparently.  Amanda has no problem getting estimates on and
>> > backup up filesystems many times this size on other boxes.
>>
>> The clues point to  serious slowdown someplace.
>
>Possibly.  The system is speedy enough in other respects.  It's the
> fastest box I have, and even on the network it's a real performer!
>
>> >I'll take a look for the TOP-TEN-QUESTIONS FAQ and see if it
>> > helps, but I'm guessing that it probably won't.  I'm wondering
>> > if this is some kind of kernel issue or something equally weird.
>>
>> The only other item that comes to mind is the etimeout value in
>> your amanda.conf.  Just for testing, multiply it by 10 for
>> tonight, that big a filesystem may be too slow for the default 5
>> minutes.  Its in seconds BTW.  If that fixes the estimates, you
>> may have to expand the dtimeout value also.
>
>I'll check this out.  None of these timeouts are spec'd in the
> amanda.conf file for the box, and etimeout defaults to 300 seconds,
> or 5 minutes.  The failure comes back in less than a minute.

Thats something else then, probably in the networking somewhere.  Is
there a firewall restricting the higher port numbers maybe?

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.