Amanda-Users

Re: Hard disk backup doubts

2004-06-03 07:25:05
Subject: Re: Hard disk backup doubts
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Javier Sanchez <sjllera AT ya DOT com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:22:09 +0200
Javier Sanchez wrote:

I created 10 vtapes on a usb disk, as soon as the tapes gets full i must
put the tape in no-reuse and add another tape to the tapelist ??

...as soon as the tapes are WRITTEN TO...
The number of "reusable" tapes needs to be >= tapecycle parameter.
As long as this condition holds, you don't need to add tapes.
More explicit:  the tapecycle parameter instructs to amanda the minimum
number of tapes to cycle through; you may have more tapes in the cycle
than the tapecycle parameter indicates.

How can i force amanda not to use another tape if theres free space on
the actual tape ??

The initial design of Amanda was intended for real tapes.  Appending
to real tapes is a dangerous operation, and was _by design_ left out.
And it's difficult to add in.

But I don't see where that could be a problem for you?  You can
put as many vtapes on a usbdrive as you want?  Just create the directory
holding a new vtape, or did I miss something?

I forgot the initial reason why you needed "no-reuse".
(This smells like a complicated setup for an easy problem.)