Amanda-Users

Re: Hard disk backup doubts

2004-06-02 08:34:50
Subject: Re: Hard disk backup doubts
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:31:53 -0400
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:08:51PM +0200, Javier Sanchez wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> i have just succesfully configured an amanda server to store the backups
> on a local har disk, backup and restore are working but now im facing a
> new doutb.
>
> I have defined 7 tapes on a external usb hard-disk, when the disk is
> removed how should i instruct amanda not to remove the database ?
>
> I mean, before removing the disk should i modify the tapes status in any
> way ? how?

amandad with the no-reuse argument is, I believe, the proper choice
to tell amanda to no longer use a tape but retain the database.

> And on the new disk i must create another 7 tapes, and label them using
> correlative numbers ??

Yes you must create and label new tapes if you want amanda to
retain old log/index info.  Otherwise amanda thinks it is reusing
an old tape and is free to overwrite the logs and indicies.

Any correlation in the names and numbers is yours alone.
Amanda doesn't care.  It just takes, and later expects,
them in the order given.  (Assuming they match the label string)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)