Amanda-Users

Re: streaming

2004-06-03 04:04:23
Subject: Re: streaming
From: Sven Rudolph <rudsve AT drewag DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 03 Jun 2004 10:00:49 +0200
Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 10:59, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> > I doubt there is any tapedrive that is "too fast" for your
> > disk drives.
>
> I thought so too. But when dump is running from one disk to the other,
> it reports speeds about 20% higher (~10MB/s) than it does when running
> from disk to tape (~8MB/s). I can get dump to stream by specifying a 1MB
> blocksize and making sure there's no other disk activity.
>
> The problem seems to be with writing and reading at the same time.

Using many holding disks helps here; I have about twenty disks, many
of them old 18GB drives.

Later this year I will upgrade the library from SDLT220 to SDLT600,
and these drives will eat 36MBytes/second. This will be faster than
above old disks, so I will have to upgrade them ...

There definitely are tape drives that are too fast for disk
drives. Even though you might consider these disks obsolete nowadays,
they are doing their job fine.

        Sven