Amanda-Users

Re: streaming

2004-06-02 16:57:57
Subject: Re: streaming
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:44:57 -0400
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:51:26PM -0600, Glenn English wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 10:59, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> > I doubt there is any tapedrive that is "too fast" for your
> > disk drives.
>
> I thought so too. But when dump is running from one disk to the other,
> it reports speeds about 20% higher (~10MB/s) than it does when running
> from disk to tape (~8MB/s). I can get dump to stream by specifying a 1MB
> blocksize and making sure there's no other disk activity.

The speed of the dump or tar programs -> tape should be totally
irrelavant since amanda never does that if the holding disk is
in use.  I don't think they go straight to tape even when the
holding disk is unused, "quote, direct to tape".  They may be
the limiting factor, but they are not writing to the tape.

Gene H's comments about multiple holding disks, spindle numbers,
etc. are very germane to this situation.

> > Are you sure your configuration is using amanda's holding disk
> > feature.
>
> Absolutely. amdump creates a directory in /amandadisk, and dumps from
> the net are stored there. If there's a tape in the drive, they are moved
> to tape. Otherwise I can get them on tape later, with amflush.

Full dumps and incrementals?  What is your reserve percentage?

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)