Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation

2004-06-01 08:55:22
Subject: Re: suggestions for RH amanda installation
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:49:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 29 May 2004 at 2:07pm, Jon LaBadie wrote

> I think they are going to want to backup to disk, at least
> primarily.  To that end they are willing to get an external
> usb drive (does RH 7.3 support that?) and when I suggested

I'm fairly certain it does.  The kernel versions for 7.3, 8, and 9 have
been the same for a while now (although all 3 are out of maintenance now
-- fedora legacy is still providing some updates though).

> instead an internal IDE drive, they went out and got a 250GB
> drive and installed it before I revisited.  Until now I've
> never seen a 240GB file system :))

Bah:

[jlb@chaos jlb]$ df -h
*snip*
philip:/data          535G  396G  140G  74% /data
fluffy:/moredata      1.8T  1.3T  543G  71% /moredata
buckbeak:/emfd        2.0T  1.2T  822G  60% /emfd

;)  3 guesses on what "emfd" stands for, and the first two don't count.

> I see gcc 2.96 is already installed as is a libreadline (don't
> hold me to it, but I think 4.3).  Stupidly I forgot to check the
> tar version.  Any thoughts on the compiler and readline versions?

I was using RH 7.3 here until recently, and never had any problems
compiling and using amanda.

> The file systems are all ext3.  In reading the man pages I don't
> see any dump program that claims to handle ext3 FS, only ext2.
> Is that just old docs, or is there no dump available for ext3?

As someone else pointed out, ext2 utilities (including dump) work just
fine on ext3.  I'd strongly recommend upgrading to the most recent version
of dump/restore if you're going to be using that for backups.  You can get
it here at <http://dump.sourceforge.net/>.

> After compiling the server version of amanda, is it feasible/easy,
> to also compile just the client version on the server and build
> an rpm to install on the other 4 workstations?

This is actually pretty easy (usually).  Grab the SRPM for the amanda
version in RH7.3 and tweak the spec file to compile a newer version of
amanda instead (email me off list if you want more specific pointers on
how to do this).  Then you'll get the standard amanda-server and
amanda-client RPMs that RH builds, but with the newer version.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering