Amanda-Users

Re: *Slow* amrestore

2004-03-12 08:51:01
Subject: Re: *Slow* amrestore
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Gerhard den Hollander <gdenhollander AT fugro-jason DOT com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:48:36 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 at 11:08am, Gerhard den Hollander wrote

> * Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> (Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at
> 04:29:57PM -0500)
>
> > Anyways, it looks to be hardware, and not amanda or kernel related.  So,
> > thanks all, and sorry for the noise.  Is it Friday yet?
>
> It is now.

Yeah, and we started the day here with power outages and their lasting
effects on equipment I don't control but which affects my stuff.  Woo hoo.
But at least it's ACC tourney day (college basketball, for those who
have no idea what I'm talking about)...

> What you describe above sounds like either:
> - bad termination
>       (like an active terminator at the end of the chain, and the drive
>       set to terminate)

Would that affect both drives on the chain?  As I mentioned, I get good
read speeds off the other drive in the library, on the same chain.

> - cable length problem
>       there is a 3M maximum chainlength, the rul of thumb is (or at least
>       used to be) half a meter for each device. If you have 2 1-m scsi
>       cables connecting the 2 devices to your machine, that will end up
>       being exactly 3m , add some extra for the internal cabling in the
>       machine and you crossed it.

But these are Ultra160 LVD drives.  Most references I've seen say that
such a chain can be 12m, not that I'm anywhere near that.  I've got about
a 1.5m cable going from the host to the library, and little .3m or so
jumper between the two drives (they're in the same library).  And again,
wouldn't an overly long cable kill both drives' performance?

Thanks again.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering