Amanda-Users

Re: *Slow* amrestore

2004-03-11 16:32:41
Subject: Re: *Slow* amrestore
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:29:57 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 at 4:08pm, Jon LaBadie wrote

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:29:23PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >
> > But 4M works.  ??  And to add insult to injury, that's going at about
> > 70K/s.
>
> What about our old oft occuring observations on scsi devices,

But isn't 1 goat/week enough?

> Writing through that cable uses different wires than reading.

So, here's where it gets fun.  The tape drive I've been using is one of
two in my library.  It happens to be the 2nd one -- both in terms of
position on the chain and SCSI ID.  On a lark, I moved the tape to
/dev/nst0 (note: same chain).  'amrestore -r' chugged right along at what
looked to be full speed for the tape drive.

The drives are the same model (SDX-700C), although I only recently added
the second (slow) one, so it has less usage and a newer firmware revision.
I cleaned the "slow" drive once, and that made an improvement, but only to
900K/s or so.  Although, if I watch xosview, the transfer appears very
bursty, whereas on the "fast" drive it's pretty consistent.  I'll run the
cleaning cycle again, and maybe upgrade the firmware on it (there is a
newer firmware revision available).  As an aside, Sony actually provides a
Linux tool to do this, which almost shocked me out my boots.  If all that
doesn't work, I may have to look at the cable between nst0 and nst1.

Anyways, it looks to be hardware, and not amanda or kernel related.  So,
thanks all, and sorry for the noise.  Is it Friday yet?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering