Amanda-Users

Re: *Slow* amrestore

2004-03-11 14:23:47
Subject: Re: *Slow* amrestore
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:21:25 -0500
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

I'm reading some somewhat large (14-18GB) images off of AIT3 tapes, and it's taking *forever*. Some crude calculations show it coming off the tape at around 80 KB/s, whereas it was written out at 11701.6 KB/s. The tapes were written in variable block size mode. What's the best way to read these images more quickly?
Are you piping the amrestore output, say to uncompress and extract files? Maybe the extraction process is too slow, and causes the tape to have to stop and reposition while the pipe is emptying out. I wonder if you could put a bigger buffer in the pipe somehow, that might help, say 64 MB to begin--I remember seeing a cat-like program that could buffer a pipe, I think it was with Linux software for doing backups to CD-R.

I would try "amrestore -c" to just dump the image off the tape, and then do the uncompress and extraction separately, but you will need enough disk space to do it. Worst case, you could try "amrestore -r" and use "dd bs=32k skip=1 if=dump-file" to skip over the header, and then pipe that to the uncompress and extract processes.

--jonathan