Amanda-Users

Re: retrieving 1 year old file

2004-03-11 12:14:11
Subject: Re: retrieving 1 year old file
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Sergio Pereira <sergio AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:11:36 -0600
--On Thursday, March 11, 2004 11:46:16 -0500 Sergio Pereira <sergio AT
ee.ryerson DOT ca> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm starting to play win amanda (2.4.4p2) on rh9 and using external hard
> disk as virtual tapes. I was wondering how do I setup amanda to be able
> to retrieve a 1 year old file? in other words, I want to have 1 year bkp
> with level 0 weekly. If someone has any other idea .. pls share.:-)
>
> here's my relevant configuration on amanda.conf:
>
> dumpcycle 7
> daysrunspercycle 5
> tapecycle 6 tapes
> runtapes 1
> tpchanger "chg-disk"
> tapedev "file:/amandavtapes" (this is a entire disk)

I'm assuming you mean to retrieve a file deleted a year ago, and not a
file deleted yesterday that's been there for a year.

Your current setup will only let you go back one week.  To go
back a year with this setup you would need at least 260 'tapes'
Tapes = (365/dumpcycle)*runspercycle*runtapes

It would probably be more practical to set up a second, 'archive'
config to run at some interval (monthly, biweekly, weekly; whatever
period your normal config tapecycle covers) that only does full backups
with a tapecycle that could cover a year.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673