Amanda-Users

Re: retrieving 1 year old file

2004-03-11 16:02:14
Subject: Re: retrieving 1 year old file
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:59:38 -0500
On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:54:19PM -0500, Sergio Pereira wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 12:11, Frank Smith wrote:
> > --On Thursday, March 11, 2004 11:46:16 -0500 Sergio Pereira <sergio AT
> > ee.ryerson DOT ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I'm starting to play win amanda (2.4.4p2) on rh9 and using external hard
> > > disk as virtual tapes. I was wondering how do I setup amanda to be able
> > > to retrieve a 1 year old file? in other words, I want to have 1 year bkp
> > > with level 0 weekly. If someone has any other idea .. pls share.:-)
> > >

> > It would probably be more practical to set up a second, 'archive'
> > config to run at some interval (monthly, biweekly, weekly; whatever
> > period your normal config tapecycle covers) that only does full backups
> > with a tapecycle that could cover a year.
>
> you mean setup another configuration the way it can do a monthly backup.
> that way I will have 1 config for 'daily' and another for 'mothtly', did
> I get it right?
> In this case, how will work when recovering a file/folder?
> just to clarify, I'm just trying to find the best way to have 1 yr of
> backup.

Because it would be a different configuration, the config name,
the config logs and directories, and the tapes and tape labels
would be different.  If you want to recover from the monthly
config you use that name.  Otherwise use the daily config name.

Both would have level 0 dumps, the monthly would have only
level 0 while the daily would have a mixture of level 0 and
incrementals.

The monthly archive config doesn't care when the last level 0
was done so there is no need to record that it did a level 0.
Thus, set the "record" parameter to "no".  Otherwise the
daily config might get confused as to when "it" did the last
level 0.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)