Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up certain directories within an SMB share

2003-10-29 17:42:45
Subject: Re: Backing up certain directories within an SMB share
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:41:26 +0100
Archie Warnock wrote:
Paul Bijnens wrote:
What's wrong with creating an addition share on that directory?

I've got the same issue, and speaking for myself I suppose there's nothing wrong with that except for proliferating shares through Samba to do something Amanda ought to be able to do itself.

I'm not sure I understand why it's preferable to have to reconfigure my Samba shares every time I add a new directory that needs to be backed up, rather than just reconfiguring my backup program. Is there some subtle benefit that I'm not understanding?

One missing piece is a patch to amanda to handle an "include" directive
(or something along the -C option of smbclient).

On the other side, I create a backup-share specially for amanda, all
ending with the string "-bup", and only the amanda-user has
full access to that share, even if there exists already a share for the
same directory.  Because the amanda-user has administrator priviledges,
I find it better to separate the share.  Also, people who have local
admin rights, know they may not remove the "....-bup" shares.
Marginal benefits indeed.

--
Paul @ Home