Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup: stream_accept: timeout after 30 seconds

2003-10-29 17:35:33
Subject: Re: sendbackup: stream_accept: timeout after 30 seconds
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:33:50 +0100
Chad wrote:

This is my experience as well.  It turns out that sendbackup
listens to two or three unprivaleged tcp ports for connections
from the backup server.  Have you installed a firewall

The "port not secure" message is coming from the client.
The client amandad checks that the server is indeed using a
priviledged port (< 1024) proving that is has root priviledges.

Various reasons why you suddenly loose this ability:
Lost the suid-root bits on some executables (planner, amcheck);
Your firewall does NAT, well actualy PAT (port address translation),
and uses ports above 1024 for the translation.

The additional security of the "priviledged port" check is
doubtful in the current situation where almost every end user
can be root on his local PC.  I know at least one person
who disabled the check in the sources.

--
Paul @ Home