Amanda-Users

Setup

2003-10-02 16:44:30
Subject: Setup
From: "Rohit Peyyeti" <rohit AT genetechindia DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 02:07:30 +0530
Hello All:

I have machines on my network which are mix of windows and unix machines.
Right now, I'm managing backups (both full and incremental) through perl
scripts written by me. They have been working fine for quite some time now
but are due for upgrade. I was planning to rewrite those scripts to make it
more effecient.

Recently somebody suggested me to take a look at amanda. I looks really neat
and cool to me. I have some doubts though (if it will work in my kind of
setup) I will try to explain about my setup below:

I have couple of linux servers and windows servers. I have indentified what
shares on those servers which needs to be backed up. I will be needing one
FULL backup for linux servers and another FULL for windows per week and I
should also be able to run daily incremental backups for both windows and
linux machines. FULL backups usually run into 15 GB and incremental close to
500 to 1 GB. Right now, I do some backups in the night and some in the
mornings (data is first written to some temp space where I pick it in the
mornings to write to the tape)

What I have is HP Tape drive (12/24) (without autoloader facility). Is this
kind of setup possible with Amanda? If yes, how do I go about setting it up?

Thanks
Rohit