Amanda-Users

Re: Setup

2003-10-02 17:29:50
Subject: Re: Setup
From: Chris Johnson <chris AT sebis DOT com>
To: Rohit Peyyeti <rohit AT genetechindia DOT com>, amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:20:19 -0500
Hi,
Amanda doesn't exactly work the way you described. The most important part of amanda is the scheduler. Amanda get an estimate about how big a dump will be and figures out when to do its incremental and full backups. You do have control of many aspects of amanda but it seems to work the best if you set it up and don't touch it except for the random tweak here and there. amadmin will let you force a full backup if you need to and there are ways to trick amanda into doing a "archive" (everything on one pass) backup but amanda's scheduler is very efficient and will try to never waist tape space. Ex. at the moment I'm running amanda to backup 1 SCO unix, 25 linux server, and 5 windows NT/2k machines. A full backup takes 6-7 20/40 DLT tapes but daily backup use about 2/3 of a single DLT tape. this is because my daily backups do a level 0 every 2 weeks and then as many incremental the rest of the week(s). I'll regularly see levels 2-4 dumps of big file systems. It may make it a little difficult to do a full restore but can really save tape space. The other thing that sometimes confuses people is that amanda only backups file systems. if you have partitions for /, /var, /home, and /usr/local those will be the entries in you disklist file. If amanda is using tar you can exclude directories and files but you can't give amanda a directory to backup that isn't an entire file system. I have had to do a number of full restores ("bare metal restores" it's sometimes called) and amanda is perfect for that.
   I hope this helps some.
chrisj

Rohit Peyyeti wrote:

Hello All:

I have machines on my network which are mix of windows and unix machines. Right now, I'm managing backups (both full and incremental) through perl scripts written by me. They have been working fine for quite some time now but are due for upgrade. I was planning to rewrite those scripts to make it more effecient.
Recently somebody suggested me to take a look at amanda. I looks really neat
and cool to me. I have some doubts though (if it will work in my kind of setup) I will try to explain about my setup below:

I have couple of linux servers and windows servers. I have indentified what shares on those servers which needs to be backed up. I will be needing one FULL backup for linux servers and another FULL for windows per week and I should also be able to run daily incremental backups for both windows and linux machines. FULL backups usually run into 15 GB and incremental close to 500 to 1 GB. Right now, I do some backups in the night and some in the mornings (data is first written to some temp space where I pick it in the mornings to write to the tape)

What I have is HP Tape drive (12/24) (without autoloader facility). Is this kind of setup possible with Amanda? If yes, how do I go about setting it up?

Thanks
Rohit