Amanda-Users

Re: Setup

2003-10-02 19:53:55
Subject: Re: Setup
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:49:51 -0400
Just a minor adjustment of Chris' comments.

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 04:20:19PM -0500, Chris Johnson wrote:
> Hi,

   <snip>

>    The other thing that sometimes confuses people is that amanda only
> backups file systems.
> if you have partitions for /, /var, /home, and /usr/local those will be
> the entries in you disklist file. If amanda is using  tar you can
> exclude directories and files but you can't give amanda a directory to
> backup that isn't an entire file system.

It is true that using the dump program that comes with your
system you must specify file systems.  But if you use gnutar as
your backup program you can specify individual directory trees.

For example, I back up my /w file system as 5 entries.  Four
are directory trees under /w (ex. /w/images) and the fifth
is everything under /w except the other 4 dirs.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)