Amanda-Users

SUMMARY: planner: [dumps too big...] (long!)

2003-06-22 17:18:10
Subject: SUMMARY: planner: [dumps too big...] (long!)
From: Peter Kunst <Peter.Kunst AT csksoftware DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:13:42 +0200
SUMMARY (for beginners like me :-)

When you start a new setup and have many disks to backup, migrate
them by not adding more than ~5 partitions every amanda run (depends
on size of disks and tapes, too) and see how it goes. Take some
weeks of testing to see how amanda does it's work.

That's what i have done initially (i guess this is the correct way
how to do it). After all, when all my disks were included in my
amanda setup, i want to see what happens when forcing a level 0 on
all disks. But amanda knows very well what resources are needed to
fulfill it's tasks (and i was wrong calulating it for myself).

For my setup (more than 400GB for a level 0 dump), using "runtapes 2",
hardware compression enabled, using LTO1 tapes (~100GB native
uncompressed size, tapetype defined using 100GB per tape), this wasn't
enough to do a level 0. So amanda refuses by telling me "dumps too big",
because i tell it (her) there is only two tapes with about 100GB per
tape available. This is why i get this "dumps too big" errors.

To see the full story and config, read the lines below.

A big thank to Jon LaBadie and Gene Heskett, who gave me the right
hints on where to search.

Thanks also to Wayne A. Byarlay and Mike Guthrie for their vacation