Amanda-Users

Re: planner: [dumps too big...]

2003-06-21 19:18:10
Subject: Re: planner: [dumps too big...]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:15:12 -0400
On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:14:10AM +0200, Peter Kunst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just migrating and testing how amanda goes on my setup, and i really
> like the level 0,1,... scheduling algorithm.
> However, after adding more and more partitions, i've tried to force a
> level 0 to all partitions and got on 50 percent of them errors like
> "planner: [dumps too big, xxx KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]"
>
> How can i avoid these errors ?
> Or should i run "strategy nofull" ? But even then, i guess i
> might get the same errors when forcing a level 0 on all partitions.
>
> BTW, level 0 means more than 400GB here vs holding disk size of
> currently 20GB and an Overland LTO1 robot.
>
> Thanks for any hints (and yes, i've already searched on FAQ-O-Matic).

Q. What if `amdump' reports `dumps way too big, must skip incremental dumps'?

A. It means Amanda couldn't back up some disk because it wouldn't fit
   in the tape(s) you have configured Amanda to use. It considered
   performing some incrementals instead of full dumps, so that all disks
   would fit, but this wouldn't be enough, so the disk really had to be
   dropped in this run.

   In general, you can just ignore this message if it happens only once
   in a while. Low-priority disks are discarded first, so you'll hardly
   miss really important data.

   One real work-around is to configure Amanda to use more tapes:
   increase `runtapes' in `amanda.conf'. Even if you don't have a real
   tape changer, you can act yourself as a changer (`chg-manual'; more
   details in the question about tape changer configuration), or use
   `chg-multi' with a single tape unit, and lie to Amanda that it will
   have two tapes to use. If you have a holding disk as large as a
   tape, and configure Amanda (2.4.1b1 or newer) not to reserve any
   space for degraded dumps, dumps that would be stored in the second
   tape of a run will be performed to the holding disk, so you can
   flush them to tape in the morning.

When first bringing a new DLE online it must be level 0 dumped.
If runtapes is 1, then all dumps must fit on a single tape.
If holding disk is too small, or reserve parameter (default 100%)
reduces the size below the DLE, the dump may not fit on tape and
may not fit on holding disk.  What's amanda to do?  Skip the DLE.

jl