Amanda-Users

Re: planner: [dumps too big...]

2003-06-22 07:54:06
Subject: Re: planner: [dumps too big...]
From: Peter Kunst <Peter.Kunst AT csksoftware DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:52:14 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
> This sounded like you just added a bunch of new ones.

I've migrated some partitions to amanda once per week, starting
some weeks ago. Now that all stuff goes to amanda i wanted to see what
happens when i schedule a full over all partitions in one run.

> IIRC, an LTO-1 holds a maximum of 100GB.  Even with runtapes 2, it
> will be hard pressed to fit 400GB in one dump.
>
> Is amanda using the second tape at all?  I.e., do you have a functioning
> changer amanda configuration?  Did you run out of tape on the second
> tape and still have DLE's to go and that is why the message?  Don't
> feed us incomplete data and expect complete answers.

Yes, the 2nd tape is used, and hardware compression is switched on.
i know it's a bad thing while amanda is guessing estimates, maybe
this is where i think wrong ?

amtapetype gives me this tapetype definition:
define tapetype LTO-Ultrium1 {
    comment "LTO Ultrium1"
    length 100864 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 14300 kps
}

quoting amanda (at the run the "dumps too big" happen):

> These dumps were to tapes dev013, dev014.
[..]
> USAGE BY TAPE:
>  Label           Time      Size      %    Nb
>  cskdev013       5:42  180538.4  179.0    26
>  cskdev014       6:01   21182.4   21.0     1

...so amanda thinks it has only ~200GB space on it's 2 tapes, even
if the 2nd tape has plenty of space left, right ?
i don't know if the next lines will tell me also not to use hardware
compression:

> taper: tape dev013 kb 201132320 fm 27 writing file: short write
> taper: retrying nfs5-120:/gigd2.0 on new tape: [writing file: short write]
> taper: tape dev014 kb 21690816 fm 1 [OK]

Thanks for your hints.

I guess i must play around with my settings some more weeks before
i completely understand what happens.

 Peter