Amanda-Users

RE: amanda: more on taking forever to do a full backup

2003-06-16 14:48:10
Subject: RE: amanda: more on taking forever to do a full backup
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Michael Packer <pac AT stingrayboats DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:45:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 at 2:43pm, Michael Packer wrote

> Okay...fixed the columspec (guess we'll see when I run it again)...
>
> It took 1 minute 47seconds to tar the entire disk to /dev/null...

Careful with that.  GNUtar notes when the output is /dev/null and doesn't
*really* read everything off disk.  To fool it, you'd do something like
this (from the root of the filesystem):

tar cO . | cat > /dev/null

Obviously, if you're using dump rather than tar, test with that instead.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering