Amanda-Users

Re: Odd Config Question

2003-06-16 15:23:45
Subject: Re: Odd Config Question
From: Broderick Wood <bmw AT cs.ualberta DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:18:02 -0600 (MDT)
Usual AMANDA scheduler of mixing them up, but having the files segregated for
archival purposes.

I guess the link idea would work, since it's all on the same disk anyway...

The idea behind the seperate directory is just to sort out the Level 0 dumps
from the rest in an easier fashion.

I can just do a tar copy or such of the XXX.0 files when I want to make an
archive.

I mostly want to grab all the Level 0 dumps within the backup window to archive
(send to tape) on a monthly/etc. basis.

I hadn't thought of the obvious way of just looking at file names...  :p

>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:02:29 -0400
>From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
>To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
>Subject: Re: Odd Config Question
>
>On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:16:22AM -0600, Broderick Wood wrote:
>>
>> Looking at setting up an Amanda server with the following idea.  Looking for
>> feedback/suggestions/etc...
>>

>> Main Box:
>>
>> Has 2 partitons:  An amanda holfing disk and a large disk for the dumps
(using
>> disk rather than tape).  Would like the level 0 (full) dumps in one
>> directory
>> structure and (daily) incrementals in another.
>
>Clarification, do you mean use the normal amanda scheduling scheme
>where each day is a mixture of full and incrementals but you want
>them segregated for storage, OR do you mean to use amanda to run
>more traditional All_Level_0's on one day, incrementals other days?
>
>Amanda can do the traditional style, but it must be coaxed with
>various cludges.
>
>If you mean the normal way of scheduling, how about having a
>separate directory not under amanda control.  Then at the end
>of each amdump, scan the "tape" directories for level zero
>dumps (XXX.0) and make a hard link to the level0 directory?
>
>This directory could be "rsync'ed" to your archive box.
>It could be maintained by checking which had been removed
>from the amanda "tape" directories because the link count
>would drop from 2 to 1 when amanda removed the original link.
>

>--
>Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
> JG Computing
> 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
> Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

-Broderick Wood-

Analyst, Systems Support Group
Department of Computing Sciences
     Athabasca Hall, Room 205