Amanda-Users

Re: reuse of tapes

2003-06-17 04:24:59
Subject: Re: reuse of tapes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Gregor Ibic <gregor.ibic AT intelicom DOT si>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:21:26 +0200
Gregor Ibic wrote:
I setup amanda config for test environment and enter:
dumpcycle 1
runspercycle 1
tapecycle 1 tapes

and doing always full backup

why I get problems on reusing the tape on the same day several times?

If you spell out the units in the parameter above:
dumpcycle 1 day
runperscycle 1 # time each dumpcycle
tapecycle 1 tape

You see you constrained amanda to 1 tape for each day.
Amcheck is not completely correct, because it says what to expect
for next day (what you will run each night).

What does the amanda report indicates as error?

(Once there was an idea to extend amanda to multiple runs per day,
the software needs to be adapted, datestamps become datetimestamps etc.
but the project never got completed -- also because not many people
need this feature.)