Amanda-Users

Re: changer setup problems

2003-06-12 06:46:11
Subject: Re: changer setup problems
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:41:58 -0400
On Thursday 12 June 2003 06:21, Tom Brown wrote:
>I'm trying to get a test setup going to mirror what we have at the
> IDC so i can make changes before applying them there. I have an old
> DDS4 autoloader that used to be at the IDC connected to a test
> setup here.
>
>When i configure it in exactly the same way that it worked at the
> IDC i get errors.
>
>$ amcheck gt-host
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>WARNING: holding disk /var/spool/amanda: only 1388720 KB free
> (3072000 KB requested)
>amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
>changer: "cannot open SCSI device '/dev/sg4' - Permission denied"

Two things come to mind, one being that to find many of the changer
robots, the kernel must be recompiled, enabled the 'scan all luns'
option.  The other being that devices are assigned in the order
detected by the kernel, so whats at /dev/sg0, /dev/sg1, /dev/sg2, and
/dev/sg3?  This should all be reported in your /var/log/dmesg file.

>This is the SCSI info from dmesg
>
>Vendor: HP        Model: C5713A            Rev: H910
>  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
>  Vendor: HP        Model: C5713A            Rev: H910
>  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Detected scsi tape st1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 1
>
>and
>
>$ scsi_info /dev/st0
>SCSI_ID="0,4,0"
>MODEL="HP C5713A"
>FW_REV="H910"
>
>$ scsi_info /dev/st1
>SCSI_ID="0,4,1"
>MODEL="HP C5713A"
>FW_REV="H910"

Logical Unit Number 1, the robot, is found and assigned to /dev/st1?
Or does this library have two drives in it AND they are at different
LUN's of the same address?

>Now the issue is that in the IDC on an identical setup in
> amanda.conf the changer device /dev/sg4 although the SCSI ID's from
> dmesg are the same as my test setup?
>
>If in amanda.conf i set the changer device to be /dev/st0 or st1 i
> get
>
>$ amcheck gt-host
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>WARNING: holding disk /var/spool/amanda: only 1388716 KB free
> (3072000 KB requested)
>amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
>changer: "failed to set sg timeout - Invalid argument"

Which would be correct, its the Scsi Generic driver, sg for short,
that is usually used to drive the robotics.

>any thoughs as i'm stuck

So am I without seeing another 30 lines worth of your dmesg after the
above quoted snip.

>thanks
>
>Tom

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M