Amanda-Users

changer setup problems

2003-06-12 06:24:57
Subject: changer setup problems
From: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:21:40 +0100
I'm trying to get a test setup going to mirror what we have at the IDC so i
can make changes before applying them there. I have an old DDS4 autoloader
that used to be at the IDC connected to a test setup here.

When i configure it in exactly the same way that it worked at the IDC i get
errors.

$ amcheck gt-host
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
WARNING: holding disk /var/spool/amanda: only 1388720 KB free (3072000 KB
requested)
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
changer: "cannot open SCSI device '/dev/sg4' - Permission denied"

This is the SCSI info from dmesg

Vendor: HP        Model: C5713A            Rev: H910
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
  Vendor: HP        Model: C5713A            Rev: H910
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 1

and

$ scsi_info /dev/st0
SCSI_ID="0,4,0"
MODEL="HP C5713A"
FW_REV="H910"

$ scsi_info /dev/st1
SCSI_ID="0,4,1"
MODEL="HP C5713A"
FW_REV="H910"

Now the issue is that in the IDC on an identical setup in amanda.conf the
changer device /dev/sg4 although the SCSI ID's from dmesg are the same as my
test setup?

If in amanda.conf i set the changer device to be /dev/st0 or st1 i get

$ amcheck gt-host
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
WARNING: holding disk /var/spool/amanda: only 1388716 KB free (3072000 KB
requested)
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from
changer: "failed to set sg timeout - Invalid argument"

any thoughs as i'm stuck

thanks

Tom