Amanda-Users

Re: changer setup problems

2003-06-12 11:15:46
Subject: Re: changer setup problems
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, Tom Brown <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:03:45 -0400
On Thursday 12 June 2003 09:50, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 at 2:48pm, Tom Brown wrote
>
>> > You need to set changerdev to the generic device which is the
>> > changer. It'll either be 2 or 3, depending on which of those
>> > LUNs is the tape drive and which is the changer.
>>
>> ahhh that seems to work thanks - but it seems to work if i set it
>> to sg2 or sg3 ? Any idea why that might be?
>
>Not me.  Your documentation should tell you which is the changer and
> which is the tape drive.

Lets hope his docs are that complete.

Joshua, I've got this faint echo running around in the back of my mind
from something over a year ago, maybe even 2, where someone was
having trouble with an HP that was responding to multiple LUNS.  At
the time I can't recall if the consensus was an HP bug, or a kernel
bug.  In this gents case I think I'd name /dev/nst0 as the drive, and
/dev/sg3 as the changer so he is using the LUN=0 device for the
drive, and the LUN=1 for the robotics.  Only if there are weird
results would I change it to /dev/sg2 for the robotics since that
theoreticly would be the same as /dev/st0 at bus address 0,4,0.  And
that would make me nervous/apprehensive/worryalot etc.

This one sort of caught me off-guard because here, /dev/nst0 at LUN 0
is the drive, and /dev/sg1, same bus address but LUN=1 is the
robotics.  Seagate 4586NP or CTL-96, it has lots of (re)badges on it.
The cdr/w is of course /dev/sg0.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: