Amanda-Users

Re: Holding disks and the disk output driver

2003-06-10 17:44:28
Subject: Re: Holding disks and the disk output driver
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Ted Cabeen <secabeen AT pobox DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:38:34 -0400
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 13:36, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>If you're using the disk output driver to run backups to a large
> disk array, is there any reason to use a holding disk?

2 reasons.

1: Useing the holding disk allows amanda to exploit parallel-ization
(is that a word ? :) between the clients, speeding it up considerably.
Without it, it can only handle one file at a time, or at least thats
what I've been told on more than 1 occasion.

2: Useing the holding disk allows for an automatic defrag when the
holding disk file is completed, it will be moved to the array in one
swell foop.  The holding disk file is then deleted, so any
fragmentation is wiped out again by the time the run is done.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: