Amanda-Users

RE: Questions about Amanda - part II

2003-06-10 14:13:33
Subject: RE: Questions about Amanda - part II
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:10:36 -0400
> Hi,
>
>     My questions is:
>
> > >           2. I need to get the backups of all my
> machines. Do I need to
> > > create a /etc/amanda/Directory/amanda.conf for each of them ?
> >
> > Usually, a single machine (the amanda "server") has the
> tape drive, and
> > all other machines (amanda "clients") write their backups
> to the server.
> > There is a single amanda.conf, on the server.
> >

> Ok, but if I put a lot of clients on 'disklists', Will amanda
> use one tape
> for each client ? It will runs all backups on the same time, ok ?

AMANDA will use up to the number of tapes specified for "runtapes" in
amanda.conf.
AMANDA will get dumps from as many clients as possible at the same time.
Limiting factors usually include the "inparallel" setting, the net usage
setting, and the amount of holding space you have made available.

> > >           3. If I put 'dump cycle' to 5, the partition
> that will be
> backuped
> > > wil be divided by 5 and on each day 1/5 of the partition will be
> backuped,
> > > ok ?
> >
> > No.  The partition will get a level 0 (full) dump once every 5 days,
> > and incremental dumps the other days.
> >
> > By the way, this is almost certainly not what you want.
> You probably
> > want 'dumpcycle 1 week' and 'runspercycle 5'.
> >

> Sorry, but it sounds so confuse for me. I read the chapter
> about Amanda on
> "Essencial System Administration by Oreilly" and the author
> talk something
> about: Amanda divide the partition that will be backup and
> each day one part
> of the partition will be backup.
>
> What I need is do a full backup in one day and incrementals
> on the next
> days. So, I put 'dump cycle 7' and 'runs per cycle 5' for 1
> day of full
> backup and 4 days for incrementals, Is it correct ?

Each disk list entry will follow its own cycle of full and incremental
backups, within the  bounds set by dumpcycle and runspercycle. They normally
won't all do full backups on the same day, because that would use so much
more tape than just doing the incrementals. Setting "dumpcycle 5" and
"runspercycle 5" would tell AMANDA to make sure every disk list entry gets a
full backup at least every five runs, but doesn't require that those full
backups be on specific days of the week, or all at the same time.

> I have a problem, last night Amanda send me a email about a
> backup but, the
> emails didn't have nothink. Something wrong ?

Possibly. Check the logs in /tmp/amanda for that backup run and see if they
ended normally. Also send yourself a simple text message as the backup user
and see if it gets through ok.