Amanda-Users

Re: Holding disks and the disk output driver

2003-06-10 14:01:48
Subject: Re: Holding disks and the disk output driver
From: "Steven M. Wilson" <stevew AT purdue DOT edu>
To: Ted Cabeen <secabeen AT pobox DOT com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:58:38 -0500
Ted,

I've been using a 2 TB disk array for the past month or so and it's been working great for me without a holding disk. Using a holding disk will require more free disk space plus the additional time to transfer from the holding disk to the backup disk.

I recommend getting a patch from Jean-Louis Martineau (martinea AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA) which prevents a client error from forcing Amanda to go into degraded mode. When Amanda operates in degraded mode, it will only write to the holding disk, which in my case doesn't exist. But the patch prevents client-side errors from putting Amanda into degraded mode which allows my backups to continue being written to the backup disks.

Steve

Ted Cabeen wrote:

If you're using the disk output driver to run backups to a large disk
array, is there any reason to use a holding disk?

--
Steven M. Wilson, Systems and Network Manager
Markey Center for Structural Biology