Amanda-Users

Re: inst. amanda 2.4 chg-zd-mtx, SureStore 24x6, rights probs?

2003-04-21 05:06:43
Subject: Re: inst. amanda 2.4 chg-zd-mtx, SureStore 24x6, rights probs?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:44:14 -0400
On Sun April 20 2003 13:19, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 05:38:06PM +0200, diesing AT snowflake DOT de
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a complete newbie to amanda (ver. 2.4.4) and I'm trying to
>> install it on a machine running SuSE 8.1 with a HP SureStore
>> 24x6 (DDS3 changer) conntected via an adaptec 2940. I'm using
>> the chg-zd-mtx script and got quite far with the recommended
>> tests.
>>
>> My problem is that "chg-zd-mtx -slot next" always produces some
>> kind of error. This could either be:
>>
>> 3 mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
>> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
>> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Medium Error
>> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 52
>> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
>> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
>> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
>> MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 4 to 1 Failed
>>
>> or, doing it right again:
>>
>> 3 Drive not ready after 120 seconds, rewind said "/usr/bin/mt:
>> /dev/sg0: Operation not permitted"
>>
>> Since I'm always getting one of the two possibilities, I'm a bit
>> unsure about where to start searching. I read about putting some
>> delays in the script might help, but I've no clue where to put
>> them and I lost the URL of the page :(
>>
>> Hope one of u guys, can help me.
>
>Not sure, I'm not a linux person, but I think somewhere you have a
> device specification wrong.  Changers, like your SureStore, have
> to be thought of as 2 different devices, the changer mechanism
> and the tape drive itself.
>
>mt only works on tape drives
>mtx only works on tape changer mechanisms
>
>IIRC your tape drive is probably /dev/nst0 (n for no rewind, st
> for scsi tape). Your changer mechanism is sg0.  Somehow mt is
> trying to work on the sg device. Probably a simple "device
> /dev/sg0", or "tapedev /dev/sg0", or ??? should be changed.
> Which I know not.

This depends, for linux systems Jon, on whether or not he may have a
cdwriter, which also requires the services of the sg, scsi_generic,
driver.

To identify the changer mechanism, he will need to read thru his
/var/log/dmesg file and see what device number the kernel gave it
when it found it.

But, this brings up a second gotcha.  Default kernels for most
distributions do not do a "SCAN_ALL_LUNS" during the boot phase.
This has to be turned on in the config of that kernel tree, and the
kernel then rebuilt and reinstalled.

My Seagate/Compaq drive is one such LUN=1 device for the robot, but
I know not if his SureStore uses a non-zero LUN, in which case it
needs another address on the scsi bus seperate from the tape drive
itself, probably making the changer /dev/sg0.

If its a non-zero LUN, then the dmseg portion that refers to it
should look somewhat like this:
----------------------------
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.3G: PCI Ultra: IO 0xD000-0xD00F, IRQ 0xB
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: CREATIVE  Model: CD-RW RW1210E     Rev: LCS6
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20020805, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4,
s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 1,  type 8
because sr0 is an alias to sg0 on most systems, it got used for the
cdwriter, and the tape drives "Medium Changer" then is /dev/sg1, at
LUN=1, as is shown above.

I hope this is helpfull.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M