Amanda-Users

Re: inst. amanda 2.4 chg-zd-mtx, SureStore 24x6, rights probs?

2003-04-21 04:10:07
Subject: Re: inst. amanda 2.4 chg-zd-mtx, SureStore 24x6, rights probs?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:19:33 -0400
On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 05:38:06PM +0200, diesing AT snowflake DOT de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a complete newbie to amanda (ver. 2.4.4) and I'm trying to install it on
> a machine running SuSE 8.1 with a HP SureStore 24x6 (DDS3 changer)
> conntected via an adaptec 2940. I'm using the chg-zd-mtx script and got
> quite far with the recommended tests.
>
> My problem is that "chg-zd-mtx -slot next" always produces some kind of
> error. This could either be:
>
> 3 mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Medium Error
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 52
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
> MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 4 to 1 Failed
>
> or, doing it right again:
>
> 3 Drive not ready after 120 seconds, rewind said "/usr/bin/mt: /dev/sg0:
> Operation not permitted"
>
> Since I'm always getting one of the two possibilities, I'm a bit unsure
> about where to start searching. I read about putting some delays in the
> script might help, but I've no clue where to put them and I lost the URL of
> the page :(
>
> Hope one of u guys can help me.

Not sure, I'm not a linux person, but I think somewhere you have a device
specification wrong.  Changers, like your SureStore, have to be thought of
as 2 different devices, the changer mechanism and the tape drive itself.

mt only works on tape drives
mtx only works on tape changer mechanisms

IIRC your tape drive is probably /dev/nst0 (n for no rewind, st for scsi tape).
Your changer mechanism is sg0.  Somehow mt is trying to work on the sg device.
Probably a simple "device /dev/sg0", or "tapedev /dev/sg0", or ??? should be
changed.  Which I know not.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)