Amanda-Users

Re: chg-zd-mtx issue ?

2003-04-03 19:20:17
Subject: Re: chg-zd-mtx issue ?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT sodor.wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:55:36 -0500
On Thu April 3 2003 15:34, Brian Cuttler wrote:
>Amanda 2.4.4
>Solaris 9
>LTO tape in Storedge 9 jukebox (ie HP c7145 jukebox)
>mtx 1.2.17rel
>
>> mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c5t4d0 inquiry
>
>Product Type: Medium Changer
>Vendor ID: 'HP      '
>Product ID: 'C7145           '
>Revision: '233S'
>Attached Changer: No
>
>This is very intermittent...
>
>       amdump always runs successfully
>        amcheck and amlabel, usually good, sometimes a little less
> so amtape _always_ fails in the same manner.
>
>Actually I was seeing a higher rate of success with amanda 2.4.3
>on Solaris 8 but with the 2.4.4 chg-zd-mtx script. I'm sorry, I
>don't recall the version of mtx I was using on Solaris 8.
>
>Please tell me what additional diagnostic information I can
> provide, I just didn't want to include the kitchen sink.
>
>> amlabel ninfo NTNWKLY10 slot 3
>
>labeling tape in slot 3 (/dev/rmt/0cn):
>rewinding, reading label, not an amanda tape
>rewinding, writing label NTNWKLY10, checking labelBus error (core
> dumped)

>From that hint, you have hardware problems, possibly related to the
termination on the scsi bus.

Bear in mind that a scsi bus is a transmission line, and as such it
must be properly terminated AT BOTH ENDS of the bus.  One cannot
use any old connector on a multiconnector cable as the last device
on the cable.  The end connector must be used.  Anything else and
the signal echo's from the improper termination scheme will eat
your lunch.  Its been known to be picky, even about the virgins you
occasionally have to sacrifice to make it work.

>> amcheck ninfo
>
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>WARNING: holding disk /amanda/work: only 34403066 KB free
> (36700160 KB requested) amcheck-server: slot 3: date X
> label NTNWKLY10 (first labelstr match) amcheck-server: slot 4:
> not an amanda tape
>amcheck-server: slot 5: date 20030327 label NEWTONR05 (no match)
>amcheck-server: slot 6: date 20030328 label NEWTONR06 (no match)
>amcheck-server: slot 7: date 20030331 label NEWTONR07 (no match)
>amcheck-server: slot 8: date 20030401 label NEWTONR08 (no match)
>amcheck-server: fatal slot 9: badly formed result from changer:
> "9" ERROR: <error> could not read result from
> "/usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx" (got signal 10) (expecting tape
> NTNWKLY05 or a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Server check took 459.881 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>Client check: 7 hosts checked in 2.112 seconds, 0 problems found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)
>
>> cat chg-zd-mtx.conf
>
>firstslot=1
>lastslot=9
>#cleanslot=3
>AUTOCLEAN=0
>autocleancount=99
>havereader=1
>offlinestatus=0
>OFFLINE_BEFORE_UNLOAD=0
>
>                                               thanks,
>
>                                               Brian
>
>---
>   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>   Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>   Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>   NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: