Amanda-Users

Re: Backup and recovery CD

2003-02-27 03:24:26
Subject: Re: Backup and recovery CD
From: Leonid Mamchenkov <f.l.amanda-users AT news.francoudi DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:44:26 +0000 (UTC)
Dear Gene Heskett,

Once you wrote about "Re: Backup and recovery CD":
GH> >And what's wrong with RedHat rescue mode, since you've mentioned
GH> > it? :)
GH>
GH> I can report one problem with that, if he is booting from the
GH> updated kernel that up2date might have installed.  The updated
GH> kernel did *not* come accompanied by an updated initrd, and the
GH> updated kernel is useless for such booting because theres no
GH> matching version numbered initrd he can load his scsi drivers from.

initrd, IIRC, never comes with the kernel.  Instead, I beleive, it is
generated by mkinitrd during the installation of the RPM.  Anyway, the
rescue mode is not even affected by these problem, since one is using a
floppy or CD-ROM to go to rescue mode, not a broken installation. :)

GH> I know, I let it install it on me, and it over-wrote my grub.conf
GH> rendering the rest of my custom kernels inactive till I fixed that
GH> by giving grub a custom command line that did point to a valid for
GH> my system kernel, and used that to restore my grub.conf.  I have
GH> not allowed up2date to touch my kernel installs since that fiasco.
GH>
GH> A rather heated message to RH at the time was not replied to.
GH>
GH> There are many things up2date is good for, but putzing with your
GH> kernel install isn't one of them.

You might want to try a newer version.  It work much better then it used
to with in times of RedHat 6.x, if you know what I mean. :)

--
Best regards,
  Leonid Mamtchenkov, RHCE