Amanda-Users

Re: Backup and recovery CD

2003-02-26 11:50:59
Subject: Re: Backup and recovery CD
From: Martin Schwarz <Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:32:22 +0100
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:26:23PM -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:32:54PM +0100, Martin Schwarz enlightened us:
> > One of my colleagues has built a bootable rescue CD based on the Knoppix
> > Gnu/Linux distribution (see www.knoppix.net if you don't know Knoppix).
> > His CD includes an amanda client besides our usual tools and goodies. I
>
> Any chance we might be able to download said CD anywhere? I've not played
> with Knoppix, so I don't know how easy it is to add software to the disk...

Sorry, it's not available for download atm. But I hear it wasn't that
hard to customize the Knoppix CD. It's based on Debian, so the Debian
package management tools should work for adding stuff to it and
removeing unneeded things. Perhaps amanda client was even already
included in the latest version of the original Knoppix distribution, not
sure...

There are some infos on customizing/remastering Knoppix CDs at
  http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations

Knoppix Lite
  ftp://ftp.es.debian.org/pub/miniKnoppix
looks like a nice starting point for an amanda rescue CD.

Hth,
Martin
--
Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de                   toplink-plannet GmbH
Network Operations Engineer                            Schönfeldstraße 8