Amanda-Users

Re: Backup and recovery CD

2003-02-26 19:35:40
Subject: Re: Backup and recovery CD
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Seth, Wayne (Contractor)" <sethw AT fhu.disa DOT mil>, "'Leonid Mamchenkov'" <leonid AT francoudi DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:10:27 -0500

From: Leonid Mamchenkov
> [mailto:f.l.amanda-users AT news.francoudi DOT com] Sent: Wednesday,
> February 26, 2003 11:50 AM
>To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
>Subject: Re: Backup and recovery CD
>

>Dear "Kevin M. Myer",
>
>Once you wrote about "Backup and recovery CD":
>KMM> failure, being hacked, etc.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever
>KMM> developed something similar for AMANDA.  I'm envisioning
> something KMM> like the Red Hat installer, which boots up, lets
> you drop into a KMM> limited shell and lets you partition disks.
> The AMANDA bootable CD KMM> would boot up, let you format disks
> and give you a limited shell, KMM> and then let you run amrestore
> by connecting to the tape drive (or KMM> whatever archival media
> you are using) of your remote backup KMM> server.
>KMM>
>KMM> Just curious if anyone has ever gone down this road and if
> so, how KMM> far did you get?
>
>And what's wrong with RedHat rescue mode, since you've mentioned
> it? :)

I can report one problem with that, if he is booting from the
updated kernel that up2date might have installed.  The updated
kernel did *not* come accompanied by an updated initrd, and the
updated kernel is useless for such booting because theres no
matching version numbered initrd he can load his scsi drivers from.

I know, I let it install it on me, and it over-wrote my grub.conf
rendering the rest of my custom kernels inactive till I fixed that
by giving grub a custom command line that did point to a valid for
my system kernel, and used that to restore my grub.conf.  I have
not allowed up2date to touch my kernel installs since that fiasco.

A rather heated message to RH at the time was not replied to.

There are many things up2date is good for, but putzing with your
kernel install isn't one of them.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M