Amanda-Users

Re: Binding amanda to specific interface

2003-02-24 20:13:25
Subject: Re: Binding amanda to specific interface
From: "Greg A. Woods" <woods AT weird DOT com>
To: "Mark Radabaugh" <mark AT amplex DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:03:11 -0500 (EST)
[ On Monday, February 24, 2003 at 16:48:52 (-0500), Mark Radabaugh wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Binding amanda to specific interface
>

> Outgoing.  Amanda picks the 'wrong' one in this case - though I can see why
> it picked it.
>
> This is only causing trouble as we need to renumber the network and can't do
> it all at once.  Some of the machines (including the Amanda tape server)
> have multiple IP addresses during the transition and we can't keep
> forward/reverse DNS completely consistent.  If Amanda picks the 'old' IP
> address to connect from then the client 'fails' the RDNS lookup and dies.

Ah, I see -- you have multiple IP subnets running on the same layer-2.

This is one of the problems you face in return for doing that!  ;-)

In most systems the kernel will choose the first IP address on the
interface when the local end-point is not bound to a specific address.
Using separate physical interfaces for each subnet might help.

BTW, it's not really that hard at all to keep your reverse DNS fully
consistent for multi-homed hosts reachable on multiple subnets, though
of course it does help to have a well considered naming plan.

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods AT ieee DOT org>;           <woods AT
robohack DOT ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods AT planix DOT com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods AT
weird DOT com>