Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Cycle calculations

2003-02-19 19:02:04
Subject: Re: Tape Cycle calculations
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Alex Page <alex.page AT cancer.org DOT uk>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:29:05 -0500
On Wednesday 19 February 2003 09:08 am, Alex Page wrote:
>I'm setting up an amanda system, and I'm a little confused by the
>jargon. What I'm trying to do is one full backup a week (on
> Fridays) and partial backups every other weeknight. I want to
> operate four weeks of tapes in rotation, so at any time we have
> four weeks of backup down to the granularity of one day.
>
>Am I right in thinking that this is a dump cycle of 7 days, with 5
>runs per cycle and 4 tapes per run? Sorry if this is alarmingly
> obvious, I'm pretty new to all this :)

Chuckle, we can tell.  First, amanda doesn't willingly do a fixed
schedule such as you have in mind, not without a lot of whip
cracking and cussing.

What amanda will do, and do very well indeed is back up your data,
doing it in a schedule she will determine, but based on the
limitations you give her.

Those limitations are:

1. dumpcycle.  The number of days she has to do a full backup of
everything in the disklist.

2. runspercycle.  The number of runs in dumpcycle days.

3. tapecycle.  The number of tapes in the rotation pool she has to
get all this done with.

Also entering into it is the size of the tapes you are using,
prefereably stated in terms of its un-compressed capacity because
software compression allows amanda to track tape useage much more
accurately.  If you can, turn the hardware compression off before
you ever write to a single tape, its much simpler than trying to
fix it later.

So basicly, you need to see how much data you have, how many tapes
it will take to hold it all + incrementals in one runspercycle,
then multiply that by at least 2 to get tapecycle, the number of
tapes you will need.

Start amanda out by running amcheck with a fully configured
disklist, but for the first run, comment stuff out until it won't
overflow the tape, next run uncomment about that much more, etc
until its all exposed and being backed up in dumpcycle days.
Amanda will attempt to adjust things a bit one day or the other in
order to balance the tape useage until it uses about the same
amount each night, but that may take tapecycle days or more to
fully jiggle into place.

Oh, and welcome to the amanda admirers group. :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M