Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Cycle calculations

2003-02-19 13:19:03
Subject: Re: Tape Cycle calculations
From: Dave Sherohman <dsherohman AT westling DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:51:38 -0600
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:08:05PM +0000, Alex Page wrote:
> I'm setting up an amanda system, and I'm a little confused by the
> jargon. What I'm trying to do is one full backup a week (on Fridays) and
> partial backups every other weeknight.

(I assume "every other weeknight" means "every weeknight except Friday"
rather than "every second weeknight".  Don't you just love English?)

amanda doesn't do that unless you twist her arm pretty hard.  Just set
her up and let her go; she'll decide for herself when to do fulls and
when to do incrementals.

> Am I right in thinking that this is a dump cycle of 7 days, with 5
> runs per cycle and 4 tapes per run?

Close...  You want dumpcycle 7 days, runspercycle 5, tapecycle 20.  4
tapes per run would mean that you plan to use 4 tapes each night.