Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Cycle calculations

2003-02-19 13:14:52
Subject: Re: Tape Cycle calculations
From: Martin hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: Alex Page <alex.page AT cancer.org DOT uk>, "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:21:20 +0000
Alex Page wrote:
I'm setting up an amanda system, and I'm a little confused by the
jargon. What I'm trying to do is one full backup a week (on Fridays) and
partial backups every other weeknight. I want to operate four weeks of
tapes in rotation, so at any time we have four weeks of backup down to
the granularity of one day.

Am I right in thinking that this is a dump cycle of 7 days, with 5
runs per cycle and 4 tapes per run? Sorry if this is alarmingly obvious,
I'm pretty new to all this :)

Alex

Alex

 err no.

Let amanda decide when to do full dumps - it will flatten out the load and figure out when to do full's itself.

ya want want

dumpcycle 4 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 20         # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week --
                           justweekdays)
tapecycle 20 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

If ya want to do 'archive' runs then setup a separate backup set that only does full's (via the disklist and backuptype specifier)

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.