Amanda-Users

Re: my understanding on how amanda works (newbie)

2003-02-18 09:23:25
Subject: Re: my understanding on how amanda works (newbie)
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Qian Chen <qchen AT mail.med.upenn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:58:49 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 at 6:50pm, Qian Chen wrote

> 1. crontab entray like "45 0 * * 2-6    /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1" to
> start the amanda server. server reads /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist to
> find which client/dir needs backup?

Yep, and reads amanda.conf for all the other config parameters.

> 2. server tries to connect to client machine on UDP port 100080.
> 3. client machine's xinetd/inetd pickups the connection and awakens amanda
> client.
> 4. amanda client reads ~amandahome/.amandahosts to find out which server
> will do the backup?(/var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts is the default RH
> location.)

Err, not really.  The client check .amandahosts to see if the server
connecting to it is authorized to do so.

> 5. amanda client will try to connect amanda server machine on a random UDP
> port. (connection is from a random client side port to server UDP 10080?)
> 6. Amanda Faq "The server opens 2 or 3 radom TCP sockets back to the
> client per dumper process." ( what are the source ports and dest ports?)

This is all documented in docs/PORT.USAGE in the source distro.

> 7. amanda client will get the information on whic dir to backup from the
> sever? any file it needs to read, like a local disklists file?

Yes, and no unless there's an exclude or include list specified in the
dumptype.

> 8. amanda client will use "dump" "gnutar" to gather the data and send to
> amanda server.
> 9. amanda server will hold the data in holding disks until it is ready to
> write it to the tapes. /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf has the nessary
> tape/tapeless information.

Yep.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain