Amanda-Users

my understanding on how amanda works (newbie)

2003-02-17 20:09:56
Subject: my understanding on how amanda works (newbie)
From: Qian Chen <qchen AT mail.med.upenn DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:50:44 -0500 (EST)
hi
I am trying to get a clear picture on how amanda works. Please point out
where my understanding is wrong.

server is a redhat8.0, client is a redhat8.0, both with amanda-2.4.3-4 ( i
assume it does diskless backup.)

1. crontab entray like "45 0 * * 2-6    /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1" to
start the amanda server. server reads /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist to
find which client/dir needs backup?
2. server tries to connect to client machine on UDP port 100080.
3. client machine's xinetd/inetd pickups the connection and awakens amanda
client.
4. amanda client reads ~amandahome/.amandahosts to find out which server
will do the backup?(/var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts is the default RH
location.)
5. amanda client will try to connect amanda server machine on a random UDP
port. (connection is from a random client side port to server UDP 10080?)
6. Amanda Faq "The server opens 2 or 3 radom TCP sockets back to the
client per dumper process." ( what are the source ports and dest ports?)
7. amanda client will get the information on whic dir to backup from the
sever? any file it needs to read, like a local disklists file?
8. amanda client will use "dump" "gnutar" to gather the data and send to
amanda server.
9. amanda server will hold the data in holding disks until it is ready to
write it to the tapes. /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf has the nessary
tape/tapeless information.