Amanda-Users

Re: same tape reused?

2003-02-18 07:45:10
Subject: Re: same tape reused?
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
To: rb AT raphinou DOT com
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:27:45 +0100
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:27:44AM +0100, rb AT raphinou DOT com wrote:

> I have indeed a tapecycle  4 configuration
> Is there a way to make sevral backup a day but still have the same
> behaviour as if those backups were made one per day? (without playing
> wit the date of the computer)

You can run several backups a day just fine. However
you must not use more tapes than your tapecycle is.
And to be careful and prepared for disaster:
Have always three generations handy.
I _recommend_ to have at least:

3 * runspercycle * runtapes Tapes.

man amanda says:
              For  instance,  if dumpcycle is set to 14 days, one
              Amanda run is done every day (Sunday through Satur­
              day),  and  runtapes  is set to one, then tapecycle
              must be at least 15 (14 days * one  run/day  *  one
              tape/run + one tape).

E.g. you are testing with dumpcycle 1 and up to 4 runs a day, you need
5 tapes as _absolute minimum_ (and then you are depending on each
tape!) and 12 for a warm and fuzzy feeling.

> I took a look at the mail I received, but it didn't mention anything
> wrong. See below for the whole mail.

Overflowing the tapecycle in just one day is apparently
not prohibited :-((

  Ciao
   Dietmar

--
Dietmar Goldbeck, Senior Consultant, <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
Neteligent GmbH, http://www.neteligent.de/