Amanda-Users

Re: not secure port

2002-12-20 16:41:28
Subject: Re: not secure port
From: "KEVIN ZEMBOWER" <KZEMBOWER AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>, <iaccounts AT northnetworks DOT ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:52:03 -0500
Steve, I had this exact problem. The problem is that the way NAT is done is to
choose an arbitrary port number and associate it with an IP inside the NAT.

Search the archive of this list for "Amanda through translated addresses" where
Pedro Caria shared with me a patch to remove the port check from amanda. This
could work, but I never tried it. I just gave up and created two separate
backup systems.

Search also for "Amanda and firewall" This was another thread that I started in
which folks gave useful suggestions.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139

>>> Steve Bertrand <iaccounts AT northnetworks DOT ca> 12/12/02 09:01AM >>>
Hi there.  I have a problem for which I have done research on using google,
mailing lists and other resourses, but have gotten no definitive answer to
date.  If someone could help me I would be ever greatful.

I have amanda set up on FreeBSD, which was working great behind a Linksys NAT
gateway, pulling backups from several locations on the Internet.  I have since
relocated my amanda box to a different physical location, and it is now behind
a Netopia nat gateway.  The internal IP address of the box has changed, as well
as the external IP of the nat gateway.  I have updated .amandahosts on all
machines accordingly, but now I get the following on all of my remote machines
I am backing up:

ERROR: svr3: [host netopia-external-ip.domain.com : port 64559 not secure]

I rebuilt amanda with the following:

--with-tcpports=1500,2000
--with-udpports=800,900

with no luck.